- Telford and Wrekin is a unitary council in the West Midlands.
- The council liaises with many other external agencies which meant a secure information exchange system was critical to council operations.
- Telford and Wrekin wanted to be able to communicate electronically and securely with numerous external organisations and wanted to expand this to other agencies in the future.
- Core created a SharePoint extranet solution that resolved almost of all the issues the council were facing.
- The extranet reduced the risk of confidential content being emailed to or accessed by the wrong personnel. Documents in the library are ‘time-stamped’ making them inaccessible after a certain time.
- Core also provided an SQL database so that users could select recipients via a drop-down menu,. This further reduced the risk of sending sensitive information to the wrong recipient and allowed key data to be shared in a secure way.
- Telford and Wrekin Council can now communicate securely with external organisations thanks to the SharePoint extranet.
- Information that was previously exchanged by registered mail or hand delivered is now available via the secure extranet. This saves time, reduces costs and ensures the council maintains compliance in this area.
- The SQL database has reduced pressure on the council’s IT department to maintain and manage email address lists.